Frustrated

All general discussion related to law-enforcement topics
SMHnj
Rookie

Frustrated

Post by SMHnj » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 pm

Good Evening,

I took a prep course a few years ago at the Bergen County Police Academy for the Civil Service. I scored alright (93.94). However, with the talk of the 2019 Civil Service Exam I begin to express frustration with Civil Service. I declined DOC back in June and other than that, it's the only cert I received.

I want to see if anyone else is in the same boat as me.

I wonder if it's worth taking the exam again next year? I don't want to come across negative but when you are in your early 30's and know after 35 you no longer will be considered but do I move on from wanting to get into Law Enforcement?

cop91
Walking Post

Re: Frustrated

Post by cop91 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Are you aware that their are police departments that are not civil service? I don't ask that in a condescending manner, some people are not aware you can just apply to other PD's. To answer you question, yes it is entirely worth taking the exam, each and every year, even if you're already hired. New opportunities are always available. To answer your other question, you can still be hired after age 35, you just would not be included into PFRS.

Matthew
Rookie

Post by Matthew » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 pm

I think anyone trying to get a career in law enforcement in New Jersey can get frustrated. There are many more people trying to get into the field then there are positions available. You can't give up as persistence is the key. Always take tests no matter what the outcome may be because you never know. You might be checking the mail one day and see a cert. Chances and opportunities come when you least expect them. Good luck and keep trying!

HardTruth
Rookie
Assignment: Patrol

Post by HardTruth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am

Move to a civil service town that hires a lot. Score well. And wait. Patience is a virtue and if I’m not mistaken, you have until 35 to take the test

Avaric3
Walking Post

Post by Avaric3 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:24 am

HardTruth wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am
Move to a civil service town that hires a lot. Score well. And wait. Patience is a virtue and if I’m not mistaken, you have until 35 to take the test
You can take the test after 35. You won’t be eligible for PFRS tho, only PERS unless you can buy back time from something. Also, if you take the test after 35, you won’t be eligible for municipal jobs anymore. You’ll only be good for sheriff’s office, corrections, or campus police.

NJBlue973
Verified LEO

Post by NJBlue973 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:29 am

HardTruth wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 am

Couldn’t have said it better. Establish a residency in a larger city for example Paterson/orange/Newark/Passaic. With that score you would be certified very high. And also condider alt route if you’re interested in that process.

HardTruth
Rookie

Post by HardTruth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm

I’m an alternate route graduate as well. If one really wants the job, they’ll do whatever it takes.

Hopefulblue9
Walking Post

Post by Hopefulblue9 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:15 pm

It’s easy to get frustrated man, we’ve all been there. Like stated before persistence is key. The more shots you take the higher chance you have at landing something. Good luck.

Intense1
Rookie

Post by Intense1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:15 am

I've been there before, it is frustrating, but I took my 4th LEE exam at 32. persistence pays off in the end-I got picked up this past year by a dept. Don't give up and def take the test to get the best score you can 👍🏻 good luck!

aceshigh1300
Walking Post

Post by aceshigh1300 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Apply to Prosecutor Offices. Also, there is always the Class 2 option.