Just Moved To New Jersey

Have a question for a police officer? Ask here.
Lefty
Rookie

Just Moved To New Jersey

Post by Lefty » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Heyy guys and gals, So i recently just moved to fair lawn nj and I am anticipating on taking the law enforcement civil service exam that will be coming out this year. I wanted to know how the process goes after you receive a passing score. I was told that the fact that I moved to Fair lawn, the chances of me hearing back from them, asuming i pass the civil service exam with a real high score would be slim to none, because of how small the department is and they do not hire as much. I was also told i was better off moving to Jersey City or paterson. Just trying to get some insight. Any info would be much appreciated.

MerpNJ555
Rookie

Re: Just Moved To New Jersey

Post by MerpNJ555 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:24 pm

Take the civil service test, state police test, NJ transit PD test.

For civil service if you're approaching 35 years old and need the job soon, then I'd recommend moving to a large city like Newark/Patterson. Or at least somewhere in Essex county that is a civil service municipality so you also have the possibility of getting hired by Newark with the county wide hiring list. If you get picked up by a large city you'll get GREAT experience and you can make the decision to transfer after a couple years or stay there forever

Don't take it as gospel but this is the recommendation I would give.

Also don't just sit and wait for the civil service... take every test and do every application that you're eligible for. Check the hiring announcements on njsacop for job postings

MerpNJ555
Rookie

Re: Just Moved To New Jersey

Post by MerpNJ555 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:28 pm

theres also alternate route (applying to the academy directly and paying for the tuition yourself). Which makes u qualified for job postings that require an academy certification. It also makes u a more attractive candidate